This year saw the launch of the world AIDS Day 2011 in different countries.
The Theme for the world AIDS Day 2011 was,”
“Getting to Zero.” Zero New HIV Infections.Zero Discrimination and Zero AIDS Related Deaths.
According to the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS,otherwise referred to as UNAIDS,countries are required to move towards the actualization of this goal by 2015.
World AIDS Day 2011:Focus
The theme for world aids day 2011 celebration cuts across a wide range of HIV response,including:
- HIV prevention: That is measures to be established to help the negative stay negative
- HIV management: To keep those already infected from succumbing to sudden death by making it possible for them to access treatment
It therefore calls for all individuals to join hands in fighting the stigma and discrimination associated with HIV and AIDS.This is so because we are all affected by HIV as individuals in one way or the other
World AIDS day 2011: Goals
According to the UNAIDS,there are 10 goals countries should aim at achieving by the year 2015,these include:
- “Sexual transmission of HIV reduced by half, including among young
people,men who have sex with men and transmission in the context of
- Vertical transmission of HIV eliminated and AIDS-related maternal
deaths reduced by half;
- All new HIV infections prevented among people who use drugs.
- Universal access to anti-retroviral therapy for people living with HIV
who are eligible for treatment;
- TB deaths among people living with HIV reduced by half;
- All people living with HIV and households affected by HIV are
addressed in all national social protection strategies and have
access to essential care and support.
- Countries with punitive laws and practices around HIV transmission,
sex work, drug use or homosexuality that block effective responses
reduced by half ;
- HIV-related restrictions on entry, stay and residence eliminated in
half of the countries that have such restrictions;
- HIV-specific needs of women and girls are addressed in at least half
of all national HIV responses;
- Zero tolerance for gender-based violence.”
World AIDS day 2011: Determinants of success
The above goals are quite achievable if the following measures are put in place:
- national budgeting places emphasis on availing drugs for those infected
- legal measures being put in place to ensure that all individuals whether infected or not get access to their health care rights
- use community outreach activities to sensitize the public on the importance of individuals seeking timely treatment
- development of strategies that are responsive to the needs of different population groups
Together lets all join hands to see the actualization of the commitments made world wide during the world AIDS day 2011 celebrations