The 2012 16 days of activism against GBV is finally here. Several campaigns have been organized for the entire period( Nov 25 –Dec 10th ).
Gender based violence remains a worrying issue in Kenya ,based on the following statistics according to the Kenya Demographic Health Survey:
- One in every five Kenyan women has experienced sexual violence.
- 12% of women aged 15-49 report their first sexual intercourse as having been a result of force; while 45% have experienced physical violence .
- 37 % of women who have experienced intimate partner violence from their current husbands or partners
As Kenya marks this year’s 16 days of activism against GBV, there is need for all of us to arise and take action by :
- Increasing the investments made in setting of programs to support women and girls who are victims of violence
- The existing program strategies being scaled up to every part of this country. For example, it beats logic for women who have been raped to travel all the way to Nairobi women’s hospital for treatment, when all the government could do would have been to equip every district hospital with the required skilled manpower and drugs
- Learning institutions including in their curricula a module on sexuality and educate children from a tender age on how they can be safe in their environments
- Setting up national data management systems that will help inform policy and program development. Currently, there is no institution in Kenya that can accurately provide data on the magnitude of sexual violence in the country.
- Developing guidelines that will see to it that survivors of sexual violence receive comprehensive and affordable services
As we mark 16 days of activism against GBV in Kenya, lets us all aspire to be guide by the theme, “ From Peace in the Home to Peace in the World: Let’s Challenge Militarism and End Violence Against Women!”.
We need to hold all presidential aspirants accountable in addressing sexual and gender based violence during the 16 days of activism against GBV and in their election campaigns.
As an individual the 16 days of activism against GBV ought to provide you and i will the inward drive to strive for peace within our homes and areas of influence